Friday, July 31, 2009

Scam Alert!

I just received a check in the mail for $2,985.00. This is a very real looking, counterfeit, check.
The deal:
There are many variations on the theme, but ANYTHING that asks you to cash a check, wire some of the money, and keep the rest as your pay, is a Scam! This one said that it was a mystery shopping job, they were sending me the money to test (mystery shop) a western union. The deal was, I cash the check, wire $2, 600 to them and keep the rest as my commission.
The scam:
The check will eventually come back, and I would then be responsible to repay the full amount to the bank or currency exchange or whatever. Meanwhile the people who I wired the money too, get off Scott free. The FIRST thing I did was to call the Federal Trade Commission and Report the whole thing however there is little they can do.
What If This Happens to You?
Well the only thing is, never, EVER cash the check. Don't deposit it. Burn it, tear it up, frame it in a giant frame, with a little card under it that says in a teeny tiny font 'grift shift' and call it a conceptual art piece, But DO NOT CASH IT! The biggest problem with these is that they use the logos, names and addresses of legitimate companies, so like when I called the FTC all I could do was report a fraudulent check from a company that did not issue the check, hence the fraud, AND the fact that bank would have cashed it. Who would not cash a payroll looking check from a well known company?

No comments:

Post a Comment